The 2022 state and federal income taxes due date is April 18, 2023. 2022 Federal IRS 1040 Instructions and Form Booklet (English and Spanish) as well as the 2022 New York State tax forms and instructions are available at the Central Library on the 3rd floor in the Science, History & Social Sciences Division (585-428-8110). Forms may also be available at some other MCLS libraries. Please call your local library to confirm.
Federal Tax Returns
IRS Online Tax Forms, Instructions and Publications
- Need to find a product or place a telephone order? Visit the Forms, Instructions & Publications page to download products or call 800-829-3676 to place your order.
- Forms and publications by U.S. Mail: https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/forms-and-publications-by-us-mail
- IRS online tax forms, instructions and publications for previous years: https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/prior-year
Where to File Federal Tax Returns
Other Ways to Get Forms
The Internal Revenue Service is committed to providing meaningful service and assistance to meet taxpayers’ needs. Many IRS Taxpayer Assistance Centers across the country will open one Saturday each month in February, March, April and May, from 9 am to 4 pm, to offer in-person help without an appointment. Normally, TACs are open weekdays by appointment. Click here for details. Please check frequently for new information as availability may change without notice.
- IRS office in Rochester: 255 East Avenue, Rochester, NY 14604
- Hours of operation: 8:30 am – 4:30 pm
- Office information: 585-269-7307
- Make an appointment: 844-545-5640
- Appointments required. Click here for details.
- IRS help page: https://www.irs.gov/help
- IRS help line: Individuals may call 800-829-1040, 7 am to 7 pm local time, Monday through Friday. Residents of Alaska and Hawaii should follow Pacific time. Phone lines in Puerto Rico are open from 8 am to 8 pm local time.
- During the filing season (January-April), telephone service wait times can average 13 minutes. Some telephone service lines may have longer wait times.
- Telephone service wait times are higher on Monday and Tuesday, during Presidents Day weekend and around the April tax filing deadline.
New York State Tax Returns
- New York State Department of Taxation and Finance Tax Assistance Program (TAP): https://www.tax.ny.gov/tap
- This program was formerly called the Facilitated Self Assistance (FSA) Program.
- The TAP program will be at the Central Library in the Science, History and Social Sciences Division located on the third floor of the Bausch & Lomb Public Library Building every Wednesday through April 12, 2023, from 9:30 am – 4:30 pm. Appointments can be made by calling 585-428-8110. Walk-ins are welcome. Click here for more information.
- New York State Department of Taxation and Finance Information for E-filing
Which Form Should I Use?
- Publications (Pub) and Tax Bulletins (TB) – A Publication contains topics of interest to taxpayers. Most publications are specific to a particular tax; others address multiple taxes. A Tax Bulletin is a web-based guidance that provides tax information in simplified language on topics of interest to taxpayers.
- Publications by number: https://www.tax.ny.gov/pubs_and_bulls/publications/pub_numeric_list.htm
- Tax Bulletins by number: https://www.tax.ny.gov/pubs_and_bulls/tg_bulletins/
- Publications and Tax Bulletins by tax type: https://www.tax.ny.gov/pubs_and_bulls/publications/pubs_tax_types.htm
- Forms: https://www.tax.ny.gov/forms/form_number_order_ad_cms.htm
- NYS Online Tax Forms, Instructions and Publications for Previous Years: https://www.tax.ny.gov/forms/prvforms/prev_year.htm
- Forms ordering:
- Forms and instructions: https://www.tax.ny.gov/forms/
- By telephone: 518-457-5431, 8:30 am – 4:30 pm
Where to File New York State Returns
If enclosing a payment (check or money order with *Form IT-201-V), mail your return to:
State Processing Center
PO Box 15555
Albany, NY 12212-5555
*this form is available at the Central Library
If not enclosing a payment, mail your return to:
State Processing Center
PO Box 61000
Albany, NY 12261-0001
- Personal Income Tax Refund Info – +1-518-457-5149
- Personal Income Tax Information Center – +1-518-457-5181
- Tax Filing Assistance at the Central Library
- General income tax guides:
- J.K. Lasser’s Your Income Tax – many libraries within MCLS have the 2020 and 2021 edition; 2022 will be added. Central Library copies can be found in the Business Division (B&L Public Library Building 4th floor; call number q336.24 J11j).
- Your Federal Income Tax For Individuals (IRS publication 17) – https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p17.pdf