The 2020 state and federal income taxes due date has been extended until Thursday, May 17, 2021. The Central Library has the 2020 Federal IRS 1040 Instructions and Form Booklet as well as the 2020 New York State tax forms and instructions available. New this year at the Central Library is the 2020 Federal IRS 1040 Form Booklet in Spanish. Forms may also be available at additional MCLS libraries. Please call your local library to confirm.
Federal Economic Impact Payments – Stimulus Payment Resources
For more information, or if you have not received the Economic Impact Payment, please call the IRS at 1-800-919-9935.
Federal Tax Returns
Information on Filing
- Which Forms Should I Use?
IRS Online Tax Forms, Instructions and Publications
- Free copies of IRS tax forms and instructions can be ordered online at www.IRS.gov/orderforms or by calling 1-800-829-3676. Forms can also be downloaded from the Forms, Instructions & Publications page. NOTE: The new Spanish versions of Form 1040 and Form 1040-SR for 2020 are supplemented with three additional schedules. Order Form 1040 (SP) to receive the Spanish versions of Form 1040, Form 1040-SR and Form 1040 Schedules 1-3.
- Forms and publications by U.S. Mail: https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/forms-and-publications-by-us-mail
- IRS online tax forms, instructions and publications for previous years: https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/prior-year
- Where To File Federal Returns
- IRS office in Rochester: 255 East Avenue, Rochester, NY 14604, 585-269-7307. This telephone is not answered–it provides an informational message only. Listen to full message for hours of operation and appointment information.
- IRS Telephone Help Lines: https://www.irs.gov/help/telephone-assistance. Open Monday through Friday. Residents of Alaska and Hawaii should follow Pacific time. Phone lines in Puerto Rico are open from 8 am to 8 pm local time.
New York State Tax Returns
- New York State Department of Taxation and Finance Facilitated Self Assistance Tax Assistance Program: Get remote tax help and file for free! Click here for more information.
- New York State Department of Taxation and Finance’s website for E-filing: https://www.tax.ny.gov/pit/efile/default.htm
Which Form Should I Use?
- The most commonly used income tax forms and instructions are available at many local libraries, including the Central Library of Rochester and Monroe County in the Science, History & Social Sciences Division located on the 3rd floor.
- NYS Online Tax Forms, Instructions and Publications for Previous Years: https://www.tax.ny.gov/forms/prvforms/income_by_type.htm
- Request forms by telephone: call 518-457-5431
Where to File NYS Returns
If enclosing a payment (check or money order with *Form IT-201-V), mail your return to:
State Processing Center
PO Box 15555
Albany, NY 12212-5555
*this form is available at the Central Library
If not enclosing a payment, mail your return to:
State Processing Center
PO Box 61000
Albany, NY 12261-0001
- Personal Income Tax Refund Info – +1-518-457-5149 24/7
- Personal Income Tax Info Center – +1-518-457-5181 8:30 am – 4:30 pm
- Family Tax Relief Credit – +1-518-485-1057 8:30 am – 4:30 pm
- Your Federal Income Tax For Individuals (IRS publication 17)
- Professional tax guides (reference only): Commerce Clearing House Federal Tax Guide; Commerce Clearing House State Tax Guide; Commerce Clearing House State Tax Reporter – New York. Available in the Business Insight Center of the Central Library.
Please Note: Library staff cannot provide tax help or advice but will be happy to help you locate tax forms in paper and online and find local tax assistance.