The 2021 state and federal income taxes due date is April 18, 2022. The Central Library will have the 2021 Federal IRS 1040 Instructions and Form Booklet (English and Spanish) as well as the 2021 New York State tax forms and instructions available at the Central Library on the 3rd floor in the Science, History & Social Sciences Division (585-428-8110). Federal publications are anticipated to be available at the end of January; State publications in February. Forms may also be available at additional MCLS libraries. Please call your local library to confirm.
Federal Economic Impact Payments – Stimulus Payment Resources
Federal Tax Returns
- Which Forms Should I Use?
IRS Online Tax Forms, Instructions and Publications
- Need to find a product or place a telephone order? Visit the Forms, Instructions & Publications page to download products or call 800-829-3676 to place your order.
- Forms and publications by U.S. Mail: https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/forms-and-publications-by-us-mail
- IRS online tax forms, instructions and publications for previous years: https://www.irs.gov/forms-pubs/prior-year
Where to File Federal Tax Returns
- IRS office in Rochester: 255 East Avenue, Rochester, NY 14604, 8:30 am – 4:30 pm
- Office information: 585-269-7307
- Make an appointment: 844-545-5640
- Services provided: https://www.irs.gov/help/services-provided-one
- IRS help page: https://www.irs.gov/help
- IRS help line: Individuals may call 800-829-1040, 7 am to 7 pm local time, Monday through Friday. Residents of Alaska and Hawaii should follow Pacific time. Phone lines in Puerto Rico are open from 8 am to 8 pm local time.
- During the filing season (January-April), telephone service wait times can average 13 minutes. Some telephone service lines may have longer wait times.
- Telephone service wait times are higher on Monday and Tuesday, during Presidents Day weekend and around the April tax filing deadline.
New York State Tax Returns
- New York State Department of Taxation and Finance Facilitated Self Assistance Tax Assistance Program: details not available at this time. Please check back for updates.
- New York State Department of Taxation and Finance Information for E-filing – Filing season resource center: 2021 income tax forms are coming soon!
Reminder: Electronic filing for income tax is closed; you cannot submit e-filed income tax returns until the new filing season opens in 2022. We anticipate the season will open in late January.
Which Form Should I Use?
- Publications (Pub) and Tax Bulletins (TB) – A Publication contains topics of interest to taxpayers. Most publications are specific to a particular tax; others address multiple taxes. A Tax Bulletin is a web-based guidance that provides tax information in simplified language on topics of interest to taxpayers.
- Publications by number: https://www.tax.ny.gov/pubs_and_bulls/publications/pub_numeric_list.htm
- Tax Bulletins by number: https://www.tax.ny.gov/pubs_and_bulls/tg_bulletins/
- Publications and Tax Bulletins by tax type: https://www.tax.ny.gov/pubs_and_bulls/publications/pubs_tax_types.htm
- Forms: https://www.tax.ny.gov/forms/form_number_order_ad_cms.htm
- NYS Online Tax Forms, Instructions and Publications for Previous Years: https://www.tax.ny.gov/forms/prvforms/prev_year.htm
- Forms ordering:
Where to File New York State Returns
If enclosing a payment (check or money order with *Form IT-201-V), mail your return to:
State Processing Center
PO Box 15555
Albany, NY 12212-5555
*this form is available at the Central Library
If not enclosing a payment, mail your return to:
State Processing Center
PO Box 61000
Albany, NY 12261-0001
- Personal Income Tax Refund Info – +1-518-457-5149 24/7
- Personal Income Tax Information Center – +1-518-457-5181 8:30 am – 4:30 pm
- General income tax guides:
- J.K. Lasser’s Your Income Tax – many libraries within MCLS have the 2020 and 2021 edition; 2022 will be added. Central Library copies can be found in the Business Division (B&L Public Library Building 4th floor; call number q336.24 J11j).
- Your Federal Income Tax For Individuals (IRS publication 17): – https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/p17.pdf
Please Note: Library staff cannot provide tax help or advice but will be happy to help you locate tax forms in paper if available and online.